In recent years, laser dentistry has superseded many traditional dentistry practices, making treatments more precise and less painful. This newer style of dentistry utilizes intense beams of light projected by a dental laser. Dental lasers can be used to perform a wide variety of treatments, including soft tissue shaping and removal.
The FDA deemed laser dentistry to be safe for public usage in 1990. Since then, many dentists have incorporated dental lasers into everyday procedures – reducing bleeding, anxiety and post-treatment recovery times. The beauty of dental lasers is that they damage far less of the surrounding tissue than traditional techniques – which means less discomfort and pain.
Here are some of the other benefits associated with laser dentistry:
- Faster healing and tissue regeneration.
- Preservation of more of the natural tooth.
- Reduced bleeding during and after treatment.
- Reduced need for anesthesia.
- Reduced need for stitches and sutures.
- Reduced risk of bacterial infections after procedures.
BIOLASE® Technology designs innovative dental lasers to reduce the complexity and trauma associated with many common dental procedures. The drill (aka the 'handpiece') strikes fear into the hearts of many with its noise, vibration and heat.
The Waterlase® device utilizes hydrokinetic technology to remove hard and soft tissue with laser-powered water droplets. There is no heat, no vibrations and no noise associated with the Waterlase laser, and it is completely safe. The FDA deemed the hydrokinetic laser safe for use on both adults and children in 1998.
The BIOLASE® Waterlase® is an extremely versatile piece of dental equipment. It can be used to either perform or expedite many procedures including:
- Caries removal
- Cavity preparation.
- Dentin and enamel procedures.
- Gum lifts and reshaping.
- Removal of decay.
- Soft tissue procedures.
What benefits does BIOLASE® Waterlase® offer?
Waterlase® works by precisely combining atomized water and laser energy to gently remove hard and soft tissue. This precision laser means that in most cases, there is no need for anesthesia. Additionally, the laser actually sterilizes the surgical area, meaning that there is less risk of bacterial invasions or infections. For children and fearful patients, the Waterlase® offers a needleless, painless way to achieve the perfect smile.
Here are some reasons why using Waterlase® is preferable to the traditional dental drill:
- Adjacent teeth remain unaffected.
- Faster and stronger bonding of fillings.
- Less of the healthy tooth is removed.
- Minimal bleeding during and after procedures.
- No noise, heat or unpleasant vibrations.
- Pinpoint accuracy generates better results.
- Reduced number of dental visits.
- Reduced risk of post-surgical infection.